With specialized knowledge and access to information, real estate agents have the potential to impact their communities in a very positive way. It’s a realtor’s job to have their finger on the pulse of the neighborhoods where they sell, and this is especially true if they also live in the area.
Last month, we talked about how people can contribute to their communities by donating to those in need or taking time to help. This month, we are talking about how real estate agents can use their experience, skills, and passions to make a difference where they live.
Make a Difference in the Local Community
Realtors get to know many people as they meet the needs of their clients. Whether they are contacting local businesses, finding information from government offices, or lobbying for neighborhood causes, they make important community connections and can become influential leaders, through their business activities.
As a result, many real estate agents have specific information about how their community’s function. They may also learn more about needs in the area. And realtors, independently and through their brokerages, often respond to those needs in many ways. Look around in your community. Chances are you will find real estate agents who:
- Give a part of their commission through partnerships with children’s hospitals, animal rescue, or other local causes
- Organize food drives or holiday dinners
- Coach or sponsor children’s sports teams
- Serve in community faith-based ministries such as youth groups
- Partner up with other services like lawyers or mortgage brokers to offer workshops, webinars, or print information (Examples: Downsizing for Seniors, Preparing for Home Ownership for Millennials, or Real Estate Investing)
- Start or get involved with change initiatives such as affordable housing or helping the homeless
- Serve in public office or on school councils
Pay close attention to your family, your clients’ families, and other people in the community. What needs do you see? If you are a real estate agent or would like to become one, how can you play a role in building better communities?
Make a Difference in Your Realtor Network
You can build a better community, just by being kind to those around you. Never underestimate the power of your words or your actions.
- Be friendly to everyone you meet
- As you gain experience, offer to mentor within your brokerage
- Foster a spirit of cooperation rather than competition
- Participate in the leadership of your local or state real estate association
An Extra Bonus
An added benefit of community involvement is that it can help you build your brand and your network. People who remember seeing you at neighborhood events are often more likely to call when they need real estate advice because your name or face is top of mind.
While building your business should not be your motivation for volunteering in the community, it can help you build trust and develop relationships that could lead to new business.
We’re Here to Answer Your Real Estate Career Questions
If you’re thinking of becoming a real estate agent, we recommend signing up for our next Career Day event. These interactive webinars are led by licensed professionals who can share what it’s like to work in the real estate industry and how they are making their community a better place. You can even try out a class for free before you commit to our full program.
If you’re ready to enroll, you can choose the flexible course of study that will be most suitable for your lifestyle. Our Fast-Track program is an independent, self-paced online option, while Group Study offers in-class or online interactive webinar learning opportunities for learners who prefer more social settings. Both programs include all the state-regulated material, over 1100 practice questions, and a live 1-Day Prep class to help ensure your success on the California real estate salesperson exam.
Contact us today to find out how your new career in real estate can help you build a better community. To find out more about becoming a real estate agent, contact Agent Real Estate Schools. Reach us at (858) 329-0999 or email us at [email protected].