New York State Required Pre-Licensing Hours: 45 hours
Agent Real Estate Schools New York Course Hours Offered: 45 hours
Step 1: Meet the state’s requirements as outlined on the New York State Division of Licensing Services website.
- You must be 20 years old and above
- You must have a social security number (SSN)
- You must have no felony conviction
- Have been actively participated in the general real estate brokerage business as a licensed real estate salesperson under the supervision of a licensed real estate broker for a period of no less than 2 years or has had the equivalent experience for 3 years in general real estate business.
Step 2: Complete the required 45-hour pre-licensing course at an institution approved by the New York state division of licensing services.
Step 3: Register and pass the licensing exam by earning a score of 70% or higher.
Step 4: Obtain a sponsoring broker. Are you curious about how to choose the right broker for you?
Step 5: Submit your application for a New York real estate broker license. Be sure to follow the application procedures required by New York State Division of Licensing Services.
How Long Does It Take to Get a New York Broker License?
It can vary from person to person depending how fast or slow you can complete the required 45 hours of pre-licensing courses. You must also pass your licensing examination as well as completing the application process, finding a sponsoring broker, and the application processing times are also a factor.
What Kind of Information Will I Learn to Help Me Get a Real Estate Broker License in New York?
All courses are approved by New York State division of licensing services and once you complete them you are eligible to sit for the New York Broker Licensing Exam.
Course completions are valid for 8 years and must be used to obtain a license or they will expire and must be retaken.
Note: The state requires your course final exam be proctored. You will need to schedule an appointment with a proctor in advance of your course final exam. You must also sign an affidavit to verify you completed the course and the course final exam yourself.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Real Estate Broker License in New York?
Becoming a real estate broker in New York requires time and money but is very rewarding. An aspiring agent will spend up to $820.
How these costs break down:
- Pre-licensing exam coursework can run up to $350.
- Exam fees run $15.
- License fees for an agent cost $155.
- Fingerprints will cost $50.
Real Estate License Reciprocity
Yes New York currently has license reciprocity with select states.
- West Virginia
Out-of-state residents are required to:
- You must submit current certification (dated within six months, from the Real Estate Commission where license was obtained).
- You must be sponsored by a broker who holds a current New York State broker’s license.
- You must submit your completed application.
- You must submit an irrevocable consent form and the appropriate fee.
How Do I Apply for The New York Real Estate Broker Licensing Exam?
New York State uses the online platform eAccessNY for scheduling its state exam. You will have to create an online account on the site. Once you create your eAccessNY account, you can schedule your state exam.
How Do I Submit My Fingerprints for The Background Check?
New York State uses IdentoGO for live scan fingerprinting services.
You can learn more about live scan fingerprinting on the IdentoGO website. Only New York State Authorized IdentoGO Centers may be used as not all IdentoGO sites are authorized for use.
Use the IdentoGO website to locate a New York State Authorized IdentoGO enrollment center.
To schedule an appointment for fingerprinting, note your Service Code and go to the IdentoGO website or call IdentoGO at (877) 472-6915.
How Do I Take the New York Broker Licensing Exam?
You can take the licensing examination through the online platform eAccessNY. The state exam consists of 75 multiple choice questions with a passing grade of 70%. Candidates will be allowed one and half hours to complete the test. The allotted time begins at the conclusion of the instructions. The exam is offered in some additional languages.
If you wish to take the exam in one of these four languages, please notify an exam proctor when you report to the test center.
Note: Your passed exam results are valid for 2 years.
How Do I Submit My New York Broker Application?
You will need your New York sponsoring broker to help submit your application. You can submit your application on eAccessNY alongside some important items.
- Proof of pre-licensing course completion,
- Exam score report indicating you successfully passed the licensing exam
- Proof of sponsorship from a licensed New York broker
Can you apply for a New York Broker License Online?
Yes, application for a New York State license can be done online through the online platform eAccessNY.
New York State Broker License Renewal
NYS real estate license renewals must be completed through your eAccessNY account, and you can renew up to 3 months prior to expiration date. Every agent holding a real estate license must renew their license every two years.
Here are more details from the DOS website on how to renew your NYS real estate license.
Note: If you fail to renew your license on-time, your license will be considered expired, and you will not be able to practice real estate until your license is reinstated.
Does New York Require Post-Licensing Education?
New York real brokers are renewing their licenses must complete 22.5 hours of approved continuing education coursework.
The required courses within the 22.5 hours include:
- Fair Housing and or Discrimination Education (3 hours)
- Agency Education (1 hour)
- Ethical Business Practices (2.5 hours)
- At least 1 hour of instruction pertaining to recent legal matters governing the practice of real estate brokers and salesperson in New York which may include statutes, laws, regulations, rules, codes, department of state opinions and decisions, and court decisions.
- In initial two-year licensing term salespersons must complete 2 hours of Agency.
Attorneys who are admitted to the New York State bar are exempt from the educational, experience and examination requirements. Submit a completed application and fee, indicating on the application that you are admitted to the New York State bar.
Obtaining Certificate of Course Completion: Upon completion of the course, you will be provided an electronic certificate of completion which can be found in the “my courses” tab in your student portal. Next to each completed course you will find an icon for the course completion certificate.
You will be required to submit your certificate of completion with your license request, please refer to your license application to determine if this is necessary.
New York State Division of Licensing Services
Address: 1 Commerce Plaza, 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12231