Iowa State Required Pre-Licensing Hours: 72 hours
Agent Real Estate Schools Iowa Course Hours Offered: 72 hours
Step 1: Meet the state’s requirements as outlined on the Iowa Real Estate Commission website:
- You must be 18 years old and above
- You must be a lawful U.S. resident
- In the past 12 months, you must not have had an application rejected for licensure in Iowa or any other jurisdiction, or have had your real estate license revoked in Iowa or any other state within two years before application for licensure.
- You must not have been convicted of a felony concerning a breach of fiduciary duty in the past five years.
- You must not have been convicted of any offense involving moral turpitude in the past year.
You must have been a licensed active salesperson for 24 months.
Step 2: Complete the required 72-hour pre-licensing course for Broker at an institution approved by the Iowa Real Estate Commission.
Step 3: Register and pass the licensing exam by earning a passing score of 90%.
Step 4: You must pass a criminal background check which is valid only for 210 days.
Step 5: You must obtain and provide proof of Error & Omission Insurance.
Step 6: You must include current salesperson license with application.
Step 7: Submit your application for an Iowa real estate broker license. Be sure to follow the application procedures required by IREC.
How Long Does It Take to Get an Iowa Broker License?
It can vary from person to depending how fast or slow you can complete both the required 72 hours of pre-licensing courses. You must also pass your licensing examination as well as completing the application process, passing the criminal background check, and the application processing times are also a factor.
What Will I Learn to Help Me Get a Real Estate Broker License in Iowa?
All courses are approved by Iowa Real Estate Commission and once you complete them you are eligible to sit for the Iowa Broker Licensing Exam.
Agent Real Estate Schools gives a window of 24 months to finish the required 60-hours before taking the broker’s license examination (as required by Iowa state).
Some of the required courses within the 72 hours include:
- Contract Law and Contract Writing (6 hours)
- Iowa Real Estate Trust Accounts (6 hours)
- Principles of Appraising and Market Analysis (6 hours)
- Real Estate Law and Agency Law (6 hours)
- Real Estate Finance (6 hours)
- Federal and State Laws Affecting Iowa Practice (6 hours)
- Real Estate Office Organization, Administration & Human Resources (12 hours)
- Real Estate Technology and Data Security (6 hours)
- Ethics and Safety Issues for Brokers (6 hours)
The courses may be obtained through State certified real estate schools, approved College and Universities and education completed at other licensing Jurisdiction. You must complete the course within 24 months prior to IREC consideration for approval.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Real Estate Broker License in Iowa?
Becoming a real estate agent in Iowa requires time and money but is very rewarding. An aspiring agent will spend approximately $1000.
How these costs break down:
- Pre-licensing exam coursework can run up to $599.
- $125 license origination fee.
- $51 fingerprint/background check fee.
- $95 exam fee (for state exam).
Real Estate License Reciprocity
Yes, Iowa does offer reciprocity with select states.
- North Dakota
Out-of-state residents are required to:
- You must provide a state and national criminal history background check through the Iowa Real Estate Commission.
- You must obtain an original certificate of license history. The certificate of license history must be less than 6 months old and must include the method of licensure (exam, reciprocity, other, etc.) and what real estate company holds your license.
- You must provide proof of current Error & Omission insurance for Iowa.
- Broker officers will need to license their firm if their firm is not licensed in Iowa
How Do I Apply for The Iowa Broker Licensing Exam?
Iowa partners with PSI to administer both the state and national portions of the salesperson licensing examination. You can register for the exam by visiting www.psiexams.com or calling 1-800-733-9267.Visit Iowa Candidate Bulletin to search for an exam center near you. To be eligible for the exam, you must have already completed the 60-hour pre-license course. You have 24 months to finish the required 60-hours before taking the broker’s license examination.
Note: The exam fee is paid directly to PSI and not to the commission.
How Do I Submit My Fingerprints for The Background Check?
You are required by Iowa law as real estate license applicants to complete a criminal background check. You will need to create a My Iowa PLB account on the Iowa Professional Licensing Bureau website. You’ll need to submit a request for a fingerprint packet electronically through the application named “General – Background Packet Request” The average time it takes for processing once the Commission has received the fingerprint card, waiver form, and fee is 3-6 weeks. Criminal history backgrounds are valid for 210 calendar days.
How Do I Take the Iowa Broker Licensing Exam?
The Iowa state real estate licensing exam is divided into two portions:
- The National Portion which has 80 questions in total and has passing score of 60. You must complete this portion in 2 hours.
- The State Portion which has 40 questions in total and a passing score of 30. You must complete this portion in 1 hour.
Salesperson licensing exams in Iowa are administered by PSI exams at www.psiexams.com. Prior to taking the exam you must have already completed the 72-hour pre-license course and you must have completed the course less than 12 months before taking and passing the salesperson licensing examination.
How Do I Submit My Iowa Broker Application?
You can submit your application license application by creating an account with My Iowa PLB. Applicants must apply for licensure within 24 months of completing the 60-hour pre-licensing course and the broker licensing exam. In addition to the application, you’re required to include the following with your application:
- A license fee of $170.
- Certificate of completion for your 60-hour pre-licensing course within the last 24 months.
- Passing score report for the exam dated within the prior 24 months.
- Proof of Errors & Omissions Insurance in Iowa.
- Information of sponsoring broker.
- Proof of completing the criminal background check.
- Your Iowa salesperson license, or an explanation if your license has been held inactive or if you do not have an Iowa salesperson license.
Tips for completing our application:
- You must complete the "Nonresident Consent" section of the application if you are an out of state resident.
- You must provide the signature notarized on the license application form.
- If your application is for a proprietor, partner, or officer and you intend to accept earnest monies, you must submit a "Consent to examine and Audit Trust Account" form. If not, you must submit a "Trust Account Status Affidavit". These forms can be obtained from the Iowa Real Estate Commission or at https://plb.iowa.gov/trust-account-section.
Iowa Broker License Renewal
Iowa broker licenses are good for three years. Renewal fees will run you $170.
Does Iowa Require Post-Licensing Education?
Iowa real estate brokers who are renewing their licenses or filing for a late renewal must complete 36 hours of approved continuing education coursework.
The required courses within the 36 hours include:
- The 36 hours must include 4 hours of mandated ethics and 8 hours of legal update.
- Only 24 hours can be completed via distance education.
Obtaining Certificate of Course Completion: Upon completion of the course, you will be provided an electronic certificate of completion which can be found in the “my courses” tab in your student portal. Next to each completed course you will find an icon for the course completion certificate.
You will be required to submit your certificate of completion with your license request, please refer to your license application to determine if this is necessary.
Iowa Real Estate Commission
Address: 200 East Grand Ave. Ste 350 Des Moines, IA 50309