As a California real estate agent, you need to be part of a real estate brokerage, under the supervision of a broker, to handle real estate transactions. One of the hardest parts of starting your real estate career is deciding which brokerage to join.
What Should You Look for in a Brokerage?
You’ve got plenty of options. There are large brands, independent family businesses, luxury chains, and discount agencies. Some are old school. Some embrace the newest technologies. Some have huge teams to handle all of the administrivia while others leave those tasks to you. And the pay structure varies widely between companies!
How will you decide on the right one for you? The best real estate brokerage to join is going to be a very individual decision. By “best”, are you referring to top producing? Most perks? Most comprehensive training?
Whatever you are looking for, you’ll need to put some time into researching and narrowing down your choices. Ask everyone you know for their recommendations. Listen to both client and real estate agent perspectives to see how a brokerage functions and treats its customers.
Once you’ve selected a few brokerages to interview, ask a ton of questions before you make your final decision! Here are some ideas to get you started.
Questions to Ask Yourself
- What kind of office culture am I looking for? That is, what is the mission, vision, values and belief systems?
- What is my learning style? Reader, writer or Audio, Visual?
- Do I prefer to work independently or on a team?
- Do I have a niche or specialty?
- What are my business goals?
- What skills do I bring to the table?
- How much am I willing to invest in my own training and/or mentor program?
- Do I want to work for a well-known brand, or will I be building my own brand?
Questions to Ask When Interviewing Brokerages
- What type of salesperson are you looking for, part time or full time?
- Do you have a new agent program and what does it entail?
- How big is the brokerage, Corporate or Boutique?
- Will I have an office or a desk?
- Are you hiring teams or individual agents?
- What kind of training do you provide beyond the New Agent Program?
- Is there a mentorship program, how does it work?
- What technology and/or resources are available for drop in Agents that don’t have an office?
- Do you provide personalized agent websites?
- Do you provide full services or limited?
- Do you offer salaried positions?
- Can I sell or buy my own properties?
- Which expenses do you cover, which ones do I pay for?
- Do you provide marketing assistance, how does that work?
- Do you provide any leads?
- Are there any other services providers working out of the office and am I required to use them?
- What are your open house rules?
- Do you have quotas that need to be met?
- What is the commission split?
- What other benefits or perks do you offer?
- What is your market share?
- How are you involved in the community?
These questions will help you make an educated decision, but don’t worry. If you’re not happy with your choice, it doesn’t need to be permanent. There’s a lot to be said for stability but agents change brokerages all the time, for a variety of reasons.
We’ve Got Connections
You have the freedom to join any brokerage you like and if you partner with a participating brokerage, they will reimburse you for the cost of your pre-license real estate training when your first deal closes. They have also got a unique commission structure that rewards results. Now that is the support you need to start building a successful business.
Pre-License Real Estate Training at Agent Real Estate Schools
If you are looking for premier real estate training while you consider your brokerage selection, you have found the one! Choose between in-class and virtual learning with the Group Study and Fast Track programs. Take advantage of the Tutor 6-Pack or attend our instructor-led classes to build the confidence to pass the California state licensing examination.
Contact us today, to learn more about a career in real estate, our flexible study options, and our brokerage partners.